Are you a prospective NYSC corp member? And you are probably thinking about what you need and what not you need to take along to the Orientation camp. Well, worry no more as this post covers and reveals all you need to know about NYSC and its orientation exercise.
The NYSC Orientation exercise is a three-weeks program set up to:
(a) to give the corps members a better understanding of the objectives of the NYSC scheme and enable them to internalize its ideals.
(b) To familiarize corps members with their new environment in their political, cultural, social and economic setting.
(c) To instil discipline in the youths; and
(d) To imbue in them the spirit of collective responsibility.
Thus: It means you would be needing some important items to be equipped. It is advised you create a hand list of them for easy purchase. Below are the basic items and some other necessaries for the orientations course.
- Call-up letter: It is the leading must have thing in the list, you wont be allowed to go into the camp at all without it. Every called member, upon registration via the NYSC portal, will get the letter online or directly from their graduating institution. This document is essential for registration of NYSC corpers. You can forget everything else except this document. It is also advised not to laminate the document as the original will be collected at the point of registration.
Green Card: This is the document containing your bio-data printed alongside the call up letter during registration.
Identity card of the final year student/ School ID card
Original of School Notification: Certificate or letter of notification as the case may be.
Passport photographs: You will need approximately 20 passport photos with the white background. You will need them for different Nigerian Youth Service Corps registrations and even bank registrations.
Certificates and licenses: These documents are obligatory for future doctors, nurses, laboratory scientists, and pharmacists.
a. To be on a safe side and to save money and time you should make at least 10 copies of each document because goods and services are on the high price there in camp.
b. To preserve the documents from spoiling put all of them into a portable clear envelope.
c. It will be useful to have with office supplies: pen, pencil, paper, glue, stapler with pins, and notebook.
- NYSC uniform includes round neck let white T-shirts and white shorts, NYSC crested vest, khaki pants, a jacket, a cap, white sneakers, orange color boots, and a belt. They will become your main and only acceptable piece of clothing for the whole period. Thus, You will be provided by two pairs each, however, it advisable to purchase and take extras with you. The same situation is with white sneakers and socks.
Things to take to NYSC camp
- Several towels and handkerchiefs
Toiletries: soap, shower gel, soft tissue paper, toothbrush and paste, tampons etc.
Antiseptic (alike Dettol): It will be very wise top take it with you, otherwise there is a possibility to bring back home with some infection, which you eventually can get even in a bathroom.
Basic medicines: pain, sickness, allergy relief medicines, paracetamol, antibiotics, something for stomach etc. The choice may depend on your personal needs. Of course, there is a camp clinic but you can guess what the situation with medicines is there.
Small padlocks: You will need these useful things to prevent unpleasant situations with private things theft.
- Storage battery flashlight or portable lamp: Almost all camps give electricity at exact times per day, so these items will be extremely.
Waist pouch: This kind of bag is extremely popular among NYSC members because it is easy to carry on your waist, while you need to do activities and your hands must be free. You can put there the most precious things: pen, notebook, phone, money and other tiny valuables. You can even sleep with it.
If you think you are smart enough to always keep your things safe, then you can go with the followings to. But if otherwise, it is extremely advised not to take them along to avoid stories that touch.
a. Entertainment items: A favorite book, chess, table games, music player etc, everything that can entertain you.
b. Additional network and phone SIM cards: Network access depends on the location of the camp, so it is better to make a previous research on this topic.
c. ATM: Note that it is forbidden to leave the camp unless you have a cogent reason. Therefore, it advised you go with enough cash for the small expenses in the camp. But in case you run out of cash, can employ the service of the traders who are allowed to move in and out of camp but it is at your own risk o.
d. Take a pocket camera with you to shot all the bright moments from your camp life, if you are lucky having a good camera on your smartphone, it will be enough for this purpose.
Useful tips: Do not take with you things like knife, fork, iron, tin cutter and alike, due to security measures they are forbidden for corpers and you will see them only at the very last day in the camp.
Things to take to NYSC camp
Other items and information:
- Slippers, Bed clothing and a pillow, Plates and dishes: bowl, cup, water bottle.
- In each camp, there is a three-time meal, so these items will be useful. You should not lie to yourself thinking that there the dishes will like at home, so be even ready to eat elsewhere and have some snacks.
Things to take to NYSC camp
Hope that our article was helpful and made your preparation for your service in camp easier. Do not be selfish and share this article with your friends who are also making all necessary preparations to NYSC.
This information is Sponsored by NYSC Camp Pac; A brain child of Zizzy Hampers and souvenirs.
Published on Muzzammilwrites.